Australian Age Game Rating
The Australian Classification Board based in Sydney, Australia is an independent statutory body that makes the criteria for classifying video games, films and some publications. It generally gives consumer advice about the content of computer games and films. This helps the buying public to make an informed choice on what they view, read and play. Rating categories show age appropriateness that is based on a particular system being used. Often times, these systems are sponsored or closely associated with the governments of countries around the globe.
How Australian age game rating affects game developers and publishers :Marketing the video games for a particular age group can be challenging. Game developers must always have in mind the classification board’s views concerning drugs, gambling, sexual content and violence. The country’s cultural nuances and beliefs must be addressed as well. A sound marketing scheme to be able to reach your target audience is a must. For developers whose first language is not English, translation of documents must also be considered.
Video Game Rating
Rating categories show age appropriateness that is based on a particular system being used. Often times, these systems are sponsored or closely associated with the governments of countries around the globe. These systems are the most commonly used in particular geographic regions and are part of the International Age Rating Coalition.
- G – G classification of films and games means that they are for general viewing whose content has very mild impact and is generally recommended.
- PG – PG classification of films and computer games means that a parent or caregiver needs to explain its content to younger children. Although the content has a mild impact, parental guidance is recommended.
- M – People aged younger than 15 years old are not recommended to view films and video games in this category. A level of maturity is needed for content that has a moderate impact.
- MA 15+ - Films and computer games classified under MA 15+ are not suitable for persons under 15. The purchase or rental of video games cannot be done unless accompanied by an adult.
- R 18+ - Films or video games classified under this are restricted to people over 18 years old.