SELECTING YOUR TRANSLATION VENDOR
Choosing the right translation vendor for your translation needs is important, as it determines the success of any translation project. Hiring the right translator is crucial in the effectiveness of your translation project. Therefore, it is important to do some research before you choose who will do the translations for you. It is important to work with a translation vendor that is meticulous in the selection of their translators. A good selection process should include resume/CV screening, testing procedures and previous client reviews and references.
Beware of test runs with vendors. You can submit short texts for tests, but it is important to keep in mind that any translation vendor can pull itself together and turn around one page of text error free and on schedule. For this reason, it is imperative your vendor is reliable, skilled, priced according to industry standards and easy to work with. They must have demonstrated an understanding for your business and associated terminology. Your translator should be a native speaker of the target language and fluent in the source language.
Your translator should be a native speaker of the target language and fluent in the source language. Translators should also work in conjunction with subject matter specialists, in order to catch special industry terms or jargon, (be it medical translation, automotive translation or software translation) and proofreaders to verify proper sentence structure and grammar quality.
Factors in Choosing the Right Translation Vendor for You
- Experience : Ask the translation company how long they have been offering translation services. Their experience can help you decide whether they can provide reliable results.
- Translation Process : Each translation company has a different translation process. You can ask the company about how they do their businesses as well as how they conduct their translation processes to assess them whether they are productive or efficient.
- Translators : It is important to determine how the company hires its translators. What are their requirements in order for one to be part of their translation team? Inquire about how they choose their team members in order to assess whether they select the right people for the job.
- Services : What are the services they offer? Do they provide clients with a Glossary? Determine the different services that the company offers in order to know if they add value to every translation project.
- Quality : Finally, it is important to ask about how they ensure the quality as well as the accuracy of their translation projects. Determine their quality assurance processes in order to know if they are serious about meeting the needs of their clients.